Episode 62 returns with your favorite group of aviation misfits – Carl, Victoria, Rick, Sean, and Len and holiday season is in full effect!
In this episode we share and discuss some listener mail from Ron, who, tells us about an emergency landing he made due to a broken throttle cable. Then the SMAC gang reveals their holiday aviation wish list. If you’re feeling generous, we’re sure we can find some hangar space to store those gifts you send us *wink wink*.
So grab a hot buttered rum or beverage of your choice cuz it's podcastin' time!
***Don't forget to share this episode by clicking that Like, Share, Tweet button to spread the love!***
- Sebring Sport Aviation Expo is coming up next month. From January 16th to 19th this event focuses on Sport Aircraft and the Sport Pilot Certificate with exhibitors, static aircraft displays, forums, speakers, workshops, and a bunch more. Carl expects to be there volunteering for Expo Radio which will be broadcast live, on the web.
- Friend and fellow aviation podcaster, Stephen Force of Airspeed, has spent the last year and a half preparing, producing, and sharing his chronicles from air show spectator to air show performer in his three-part series called Inside Airshows. A worthy achievement worth your time to check out and enjoy.
- SPECIAL THANK YOU for the nominations we received for the 2013 Podcast Awards. We didn't make it to the final round this time but we're determined to make a run for it again in 2014. Stay posted next year for details on how to vote for us.
- Sign up to become a Stuck Mic AvCast VIP! Get all of our content delivered right to your email inbox including sneak preview access to episodes before they release to the general public. Sign up at StuckMicAvCast.com/VIP.
- Our “30 Days Of Thanks” celebration is still running strong. Get $20 OFF The Practical Guide To Winter Flying course by using coupon code “thanks2013” during checkout. This is our way of thanking you for your loyalty and listenership in 2013. The coupon expires 12/29/13 so make sure you act fast!
- Shout out to our rockin' sponsors, Aviation Universe and For Pilots Only for supporting this episode! We really enjoy having you on our team.
As mentioned before, the first part of the show is spent sharing and discussing listener mail from Ron of RightSeatFlying.com about an emergency landing he had to make in San Jose as a fairly new pilot, on a major holiday no less. Ron shares his story – Broken Throttle Cable In-Flight? Here's One Outcome – where we learn about the HUGE clue to what, we believe is, a major red flag to help you recognize a possible engine control cable failure.
Then we share the following aviation holiday wish list items:
- Rick – Cirrus SR22 for fast and long range travel. Bird Dog or Cub for low and slow. And a hangar to house them all.
- Sean – Vans RV12 for the fast and upside down flying. Garmin D2 pilot watch.
- Carl – G-Shock Aviation Watches. AirCam for low and slow adventures. Powered Parachute flight.
- Victoria – Garmin VIRB action camera. TBM850 for speed, long rage, and all weather capabilities. Got a spare one sitting around? She'll be happy to babysit it for you.
- Len – Shell 100 Unleaded AvGas. OpenAirplane success and expansion. Electric engines. Creative ways to make aviation more affordable.
On January 1st, 2014 we WILL NOT be releasing a regular episode. Instead, we've prepared a “Best Of SMAC” show containing our favorite bits and pieces from the archives. Look for that on New Years Day 2014!
We close the show today with our second yearly tradition of playing the Podsafe Christmas Song. A fun parody of Alvin and the Chipmunks.
With all that being said – HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you and yours! Safe travels and we'll see you back here in 2014 🙂
After Landing Checklist
~ Picks Of The Week ~
- Sean – Sky Gamblers Storm Raiders iOS flight combat app
- Victoria – Quiet Technologies Halo Headset
- Carl – AOPA “Let's Go Flying” program, EAA Young Eagles program
- Len – The Pilots Guide To Flying On A Budget by Brent Owens
- Rick – NORAD Tracks Santa iOS app
This Episode Is Sponsored By