Have you ever wondered what it is like to survive a plane crash? Today Larry Overstreet and Carl interview a special guest who was involved in a plane crash and has some great advice for what to do.
Larry Overstreet and Jeff Jorgensen join me to talk about surviving a plane crash. Jeff was a Flight Instructor involved in a crash and is here to tell his story.
- Jeff was on a break from a flight when he had the opportunity to take a ride in a gyrocopter. Less than 1 minute into the flight he sensed something was wrong.
- The vehicle is a 2 person, side by side configuration with a rotor on top and motor on the back. Visibility allows for seeing all around you except directly behind you.
- Jeff said his training as a pilot and flight instructor prepared him for the crash, but not the aftermath afterward.
- Because this is a small crash, there is not a “toolkit” or checklist for dealing with this, whereas in the airlines there are many resources and protocol.
- Jeff learned that while his training on what to do in a crash worked, he realized he had no way of contacting people to let them know what was going on. This is important to think about and plan for.
- Jeff has written a book called Open Air for Everyone, which discusses how to work toward becoming a pilot, whether it be for a vocation or a hobby.
After Landing Checklist:
Links Mentioned In The Podcast: