Carl, Rick, Russ, and Tom are here tonight to talk about the passion of aviation and electronic devices. Tonight's sponsor is Aviation Careers Podcast, which provides aviation scholarships, career coaching, and interview prep. If you are looking to get a new rating come check us out!
Tonight Carl is going to play an interview he did with Senne from hangar.flights, which is a growing pilot community. Senne is from Belgium, and is 20 years old. He started training on gliders at 12 years old, his airplane training when he was 14, and did his first solo at 16. His airfield is ETBN, which is a former military airport being used by a flying club.
The second topic comes from Rick, based on a story he found about taking selfies doing almost everything, including aviation.
- It's great to take videos and pictures, showing your passion for aviation. However there is a time and a place for it, and safety issues that need to be considered.
- In addition to distractions taking photos while flying, there are legal issues about transferring photos to the internet while flying.
- Russ recommended having another person in the plane take the photo, but definitely don't take the photo in a heavy workload part of the flight.
- Rick discussed setting up video cameras in his plane during pre-flight, then leaving them alone until parked.
- There are different rules for Airline Pilots than in General Aviation.
- There are ways to attach cameras to the outside of a plane, but you must do it properly.
- When GPS first came out, people were concerned about distractions. Today, there are lots more devices such as iPads, but they must be pre-flighted as well.
After Landing Checklist:
We have a new contributor named Mandi sending us great photos. Check out her Instagram page.
~Pick of the Week~
No picks this week, as this is an interview show.